8.9.13

The hexagon blanket is ready...

... And it has become quite snuggly and soft. I want to thank you for your kind comments when I posted about this blanket-in-progress. In this post I'll try to answer the questions I got about it.
So here is the big reveal! I hope you like it and I apologize in advance for the photo overkill, haha.

ByHaafner, crochet, hexagon throw, blanket, pastel, crochet border






















ByHaafner, crochet, hexagon throw, blanket, pastel, crochet border
















In case you're interested in some practicalities...

ByHaafner, crochet, hexagon throw, blanket, pastel, crochet border




















THE YARN
The offwhite I used for the joining and the edging is Rico Creative Cotton
(because I had lots of it in my stack because of another wip);
all the other colours are Drops Paris cotton. First time I used this, and I have to say, I like its fluffiness. If you visited here before you might remember this picture (made when I started to work on this blanket)...

ByHaafner, crochet, yarn, pastel, Drops Paris cotton

THE HEXAGON PATTERN
Alas, it's not mine, so I can't share it here. I used motive #1 from a Dutch Marie Claire Idées book with 250 crochet stitches (which is btw a great resource book, I thrifted it for a one euro).
But fret not! You can find a very similar pattern here and another one here. And of course Jeannette's Pinterest board about hexagons is a great source of inspiration!

I didn't have a pattern for the half hexagons, I had to improvise. (And was kind of crushed when I realised that I actually needed two different half hexagons - see the pics below. It's all about knowing your maths. LOL.)

ByHaafner, crochet, hexagon throw, blanket, pastel, crochet border, half hexagon


ByHaafner, crochet, hexagon throw, blanket, pastel, crochet border, half hexagon


JOINING THE HEXAGONS
What I can happily share is how I joined the hexagons, about which I received some questions. It's a simple join-as-you-go method. You'll just double crochet around your first hexagon without chain stitches in between the double crochet! When joining a square, you'll make a chain stitch in between every 4 dc of the first square. The remaining sides of your second square (the ones that are not joined in that round) only consist of double crochet (without chain stitches, just like all the sides of your first square). When joining a third square, the sides are joined with a slipstitch between every 4 dc again, et cetera. Mmm, I hope this makes sense... Please let me know if it doesn't. Or if it does. ;-)

ByHaafner, crochet, hexagon throw, blanket, pastel, crochet border





















THE BORDER
The border is an adapted version of this pattern.
I left out the last row of chains, instead I improvised two other rows.

ByHaafner, crochet, hexagon throw, blanket, pastel, crochet border

HOOK SIZES
The hexagons and joining are made with a 5 mm hook.
For the first row of dc of the border I also used a 5 mm hook,
for the second row a 4,5 mm hook, to prevent it from becoming ruffled.
The 3rd row is again made with a 5 mm hook, all the other border rows are hooked with a 4,5 mm hook. (It's trial and error really to find a balance between a too tight or a ruffled border.)

ByHaafner, crochet, hexagon throw, blanket, pastel, crochet border. Eames chair





















THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE
That's about it I guess! In case you have questions about the pattern - and you think I might be able to help ;-) - please let me know.

Thanks for paying a visit & have a lovely day! Meanwhile I'll be sailing the North Sea Channel, doing some Spanish dancing in Barcelona, picking mushrooms and berries in Norway, taking a coffee break on my patio and checking my emails more regularly. ;-)

♦♦

ByHaafner, crochet, hexagon throw, blanket, pastel, crochet border

35 comments:

  1. Wow! You turned this hexie blanket into a piece of art. Really stunning border.
    And dancing in Barcelona...that sounds great. Please bring me a pair of red polka dot flamenco shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that book... YAY!! ;-) Your blanket looks AMAZING!! I love it.
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my soul, what a beautiful blanket!
    Enjoy galavanting all over :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posting a link to this blog at www.facebook.com/groups/onshekel, if I may?

      Delete
  4. really stunning work! lovely colours, Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely !!!
    Have a nice week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it was beautiful. And also the border! Super!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, so beautiful!! Enjoy keeping cozy with it!! Have a lovely week! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blanket is stunning! Absolutely gorgeous... I think I might shamelessly steal your idea and make one of my very own. If I start now, it should be finished in Spring :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! ;-) I'd love to see it. Haafner

      P.S. It actually is relatively quick to make. One hexie took me about 20 - 25 minutes once I got the hang of it. And because I used a 5 mm hook, the blanket grew relatively quick too... (It's just that I was procrastinating making the half hexagons for months, that delayed finishing it considerably... ;-) )

      Delete
  9. Wow! I love the colours. :) Lovely pattern and border. So beautiful. :) Greetings from Poland :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a gorgeous blanket !! I'm actually making a simple blanket with Paris Drops too and I am enjoying working with this yarn. Your color choice is beautiful !!

    xEva

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOOOOOOOOOOOOH wat geweldig mooi. Mooie kleuren,super patroon en hele mooie rand!! Groetjes, Ina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, do take a bow! You've created a masterpiece there. Stitches are perfect, colors subtly inventive and harmonious. Having once upon a time crocheted an intricately stitched fine cotton bedspread, I do know how much is involved.

    Bravo! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's absolutely stunning ! Love the colours and the border is perfect . What a beautiful heirloom it will make .Greetings from SW France :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A really beautiful blanket!
    I adore the colors, and also very much the cream colored border.
    It all looks so vintage.
    I also like the way you joined the hexa’s.
    I will keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Het ziet er geweldig uit!!! Mooi patroon, mooie kleuren, prachtige rand en geweldige stoel! De schommelstoel van Eames staat nog op mijn wish list :-)

    Fijne week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love this blanket, the vintage feel is great! Improvising paid off, looks exactly like it should. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is SO GORGEOUS oh my god!! I love the colours you used, I'm tempted to try some Drops Paris myself! And good job on not giving up on those half hexagons, they turned out beautifully! Have fun travelling! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. love it. colours, pattern... so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow! I love this blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so incredibly beautiful! I love the border! :) ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  21. EU AMAR TONS PASTÉIS,ESSA PEÇA SER MARAVILHOSA.BOA SEMANA.VALÉRIA.(BRASIL).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful choice of colours . your border finishes it off very nicely, you should be very proud.Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. beautiful!! I have yarn sitting here that I bought to make a blanket but the pattern didn't work out, so the yarn has been sitting waiting for something new to come along. Now, I think this is it! thank you for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on your blog stats from yesterday! You deserve it - your blog is beautiful - you make such pretty things - and it's so nice that you take the time to tell us what make of yarn you've used, hook size etc - really helpful information which not all bloggers are happy to share.

    I love this hexagon blanket - I made one last night via the link that you provided (another helpful thought). I've just read your joining method so I can get on my hexie journey now!

    Thanks for the great inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your style and colouring, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is very different in the sense that it has half hexagons along the side.
    Couple that with the beautiful edging and you get divine....
    ����

    ReplyDelete
  27. truly one of the most beautiful blankets I've ever seen. Very well done!~

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is absolutely amazingly beautiful. Love it

    ReplyDelete